HISTORY OF THE CHARITY
Trumpington Village Hall was built by public subscription on land donated by the Pemberton family of Trumpington Hall for use as a village institute and reading room. Mrs Patience Pemberton, the Lady of the Manor, laid the corner stone in February 1908, in the hope that the building would “promote the religious, moral and intellectual welfare of the village of Trumpington”.
A charitable trust was set up in 1908 to ensure that the hall continued to be run for the benefit of local residents.
The trustees, according to the 1908 trust deed were to be the Lord (or Lady) of the Manor and the Vicar of Trumpington. The 1935 trust deed added a trustee nominated by the local council, but this was amended in 2003 when the Cambridge City Council decided to terminate this arrangement. Additional trustees can now be co-opted as required.
There is an excellent, detailed account of the history of the Hall on the website of the Trumpington Local History Group
Throughout its history, in addition to the part-time caretakers employed by the Trustees, the Hall has been maintained and improved by local volunteers and supporters.
In 2009, the trustees of the Village Hall decided to go into partnership with the Trumpington Residents' Association (the TRA) who had taken on on responsibility for the management of the nearby Trumpington Pavilion after its refurbishment by the City Council.
A part-time manager and assistant manager are now employed to run both buildings, together with a team of cleaners and custodians. This partnership has proved very beneficial, as the two complementary community venues can now be managed together for the benefit of local people, providing facilities for a wide variety of activities.
Volunteers are still vital to the life of both buildings, however, and to the activities that go on in them.
If you would like to contribute in any way to the Village Hall, please contact Orlando Fernandez the community trustee